The PAHO Department of Health Systems and Services, Human Resources for Health Unit (HSS/HR) is pleased to launch the call for applications for the Edmundo Granda Ugalde Leaders in International Health Program (LIHP) 2018.
The Program has a long tradition in the Organization, celebrating thirty three years of cooperation with the countries of the Region, including the tenth year of its current decentralized modality next year. To date, over 600 persons from at least 41 countries have participated in PAHO’s International Health Program, either in its previous onsite version in Washington, D.C. or its current decentralized modality offered through the Virtual Campus for Public Health (VCPH). Graduates contribute to the advancement of health in the Region as leaders and change agents within ministries of health and other ministries, international organizations, sub-regional integration organizations, non-governmental organizations and academia, among others.
The LIHP 2018 will continue to contribute to knowledge and competencies in international health topics relevant to the Region, including Universal Health, the Sustainable Development Goals and health diplomacy, among others.
The minimum requirements for participating in the Edmundo Granda Ugalde Leaders in International Health Program are as follows:
• Graduate professional of a university-level degree program that is at least eight (8) semesters duration and approved by the national ministry of education in the issuing country;
• Minimum of three years’ work experience at the managerial or directive level in public health, international relations, or related fields. Experience may be in services, teaching or research;
• Current employment at the managerial or directive level in public health, development, international relations or a related field in an institution dedicated to the public good within a PAHO/WHO Member State;
• Citizen or resident of a PAHO/WHO Member State;
• Excellent knowledge of either Spanish or English, with a basic ability to understand and read the other language.
• Endorsement and support from employer and availability for the Program: Approximately 20 hours per week, including 2 to 4 hours per week for synchronous virtual sessions.
• Availability of Internet and audio. Access to Internet should preferably be at a minimum speed of 64K.
Eligible applicants should submit the following documents to the PAHO/WHO Country Office in their country of residence:
· Completed application form: Attached are the applications forms in MS Word and pdf. Application form can also be downloaded here http://www.paho.org/leaders-international-health
· Curriculum vitae: CV should be a maximum of 5 pages and should not include certification of participation in courses, workshops or seminars that did not lead to a degree.
· Copy of undergraduate diploma(s).
· Copy of graduate and/or postgraduate diploma(s) (if applicable).
· Letter from one’s home employment institution certifying agreement with the applicant’s participation in the Program, including allotting them the time necessary to devote themselves to the Program half time during working hours and the intention to continue their employment during the same.
· Letters of reference are welcome, although not required.
Documents should be submitted to the PAHO/WHO Trinidad and Tobago Country Office. All documents should be submitted in electronic format, attaching each document as a separate file.
Below please find some key dates for the selection process. We appreciate in advance your understanding and collaboration in adhering to the following timeline which will enable us to offer the full program and ensure the coherence and comprehensiveness of the learning experience:
• 15 February: Closing date for applications; deadline for receipt of applications by Country Offices
• 16 February – 16 March: Interviews with the best candidates and pre-selection by country committees
• Early April: Notification to Country Offices of selected candidates
• End of April: Orientation to Virtual Learning
• Early May: Commencement of Program
We invite you to disseminate information on the LIHP 2018, suggesting a targeted approach in which you identify those individuals that you consider will most benefit from the Program.
More information and the application form are available on the following website http://www.paho.org/leaders-international-health
We take this opportunity to thank you for your collaboration with the LIHP. Should you require additional information, please contact Dr Edwin Bolastig, Advisor, Health Systems and Services at firstname.lastname@example.org , Tel. 622-4202 extension 42007 or 612-2007 or Mr Christian Telemaque at email@example.com , Tel. 622-4202 extension 42033 or 612-2033.
PAHO/WHO takes this opportunity to reiterate our commitment to collaborate with your institution and all other stakeholders whose interest is the improved health status of the population of Trinidad and Tobago.
We look forward to receiving your applications/nominations.